The results of the CT scan were inconclusive. Or rather, the report on the CT scan said I had a 2.5cm mass at the site of the previous surgery that is consistent with a malignant tumour (either new or left behind from the previous surgery) but the opinion of the oncology-gynaecologist surgeons who operated on me and of my oncologist was that this reading is wrong and that it is probably just scar tissue or a benign cyst.
So they sent me for a pet-ct scan last week for a more in-depth look at my abdomen and the suspicious mass and I have an appointment with the surgeons the day after tomorrow for further examination, tests and the results.
It doesn’t look good though. My oncologist said last week that if the results from the pet scan were clear he would ring me in a couple of days to schedule my final frontline chemo treatment. He never called.
This indicates to me that he’s saving the bad news for a face-to-face, as he tends to, and that I won’t actually be having my final chemo treatment as we will be shifting to a different chemo protocol as the first one clearly hasn’t worked.
It’s hard not to get too down about this. I am doing my best to remain positive whilst also being realistic and preparing for the worst. At least if I am prepared for the worst then I will be in a better position to take rational decisions regarding treatment. I am doing my research now so it won’t be all too much of a shock when the gynaecologists let rip with the latest diagnosis.
There is still a tiny sliver of hope that I might still be nearing the end of treatment, as it was originally scheduled but trying to cling on to that hope as it fades away is actually more painful and anxiety-provoking than just accepting the worst and making plans to deal with it.
Please continue to hold me in your thoughts and set your intention for the best possible outcome to come out of Wednesday’s appointment.